Thursday 2 September 2010

The gems of Leeds festival


Hey, you probably haven't noticed that I haven't posted for quite some time, this is partly because of me having a social life (or something like that) and partly because I've been at Leeds festival. I've seen a fair few amazing performances and in the wake of this i thought I'd go ahead and share some of this juicy goodness with you all!
Fist up, a Sheffield band called The Crookes who play jangly indie pop not too dissimilar to that of Vincent Vincent and the Villains and in places sounding a little like a much happier version of The Smiths. I think this is definitely a band to watch out for in the near future and one you should certainly check out! Listen to Backstreet lovers.

Part London, part New Jersey part Hiroshima based indie rockers, Yuck have been doing their rounds on the blogs over the past few months and proved themselves worthy of the buzz in putting on a great set at Leeds fest (although non of them broke a smile the entire time), I guess that's just the cool thing to do. Listen to Automatic.

Avi Buffalo put on a bit of a strange show for the Northern punters, but the weird howlings of lead singer Avi didn't discredit the music in anyway at all. Citing Panda Bear, Pink Floyd and Simon and Garfunkel as influences avi buffalo make music that is just really pleasant to listen to, don't believe me? Have a listen to What's in it for.

Egyptian Hip Hop, an up and coming Manchester band that I've been bleating about for ages proved that their tunes were just as fantastic as they sounded on record. At such a young age they have really taken fame in their stride and performed to a very high standard (although there seemed to be a momentary lapse in concentration during one of their songs) they powered through a set of unique sounding tunes and finished on crowd pleaser wild human child. Check their performance of set opener floppy ghost out here!

Last but not least I thought I'd give a special mention to Caribou who gave me one of my personal favorite performances of the whole weekend. Playing a set consisting only of songs off the new album Caribou really captured the audience and proved that the new electronically driven album could stand up to the test of being performed live. Sadly I can't find any decent videos of the actual gig but listen to sun!

1 comment: